If you’ve come this far, you probably already know that Turkey Creek Nature Preserve (TCNP) is a beautiful resource, teeming with wildlife, gorgeous native plants and rich Jefferson county, AL history.
But there are some things that you may not have considered that goes into keeping such a wonderful place so…wonderful.
There is a common misconception when it comes to nature preserves. One is “It’s nature and nature takes care of itself.”
The Friends of Turkey Creek Today!
Annual Supporter Levels:
Click on a button below to join:
The Friends of TCNP meetings are the 2nd Tuesday of every month in the
Turkey Creek Nature Center at 6:30pm…3609 Turkey Creek Road Pinson
Being a friend of TCNP provides you opportunities to be in the park after hours and your support will help ensure the continued operation of the Preserve for generations to come. It is a good feeling to help build a preserve whose goal is to become sustainable. The Friends of Turkey Creek Nature Preserve is now a 501(c)3 non-profit organization so your membership and additional donations can be used as tax-deductible contributions. We will send you a welcome email noting such.
“It’s nature and nature takes care of itself.”
But what if there were more than meets the eye? Things like:
- Management to make sure roads are kept clear, paths are safe and that rules are followed so that all can enjoy safely.
- Grass cut so that weeds do not over grow the paths and roads.
- Equipment to cut fallen trees, cut grass (etc.) and the fuel to operate them.
- Signage to make sure everyone knows what is safe to do, where it is OK to park, where hiking trails begin and end, operating hours, etc.
- Upkeep for the Nature Center where education classes are taught and some of the wildlife can be examined.
- Protection and study of the seven (7) endangered/threatened species that call TCNP their home.
- Funding for events like “Float your Boat” where visitors are welcome to have fun with friends and family.
- Advertising to keep people aware of TCNP so that more people across the country can come see what we have to offer.
- Portable toilets to provide a place for visitors to use the restroom comfortably.
- Historical archaeology to study the material remains of past societies.
We have only a few volunteers working to make sure these things don’t get neglected. Additional full time and seasonal staff are needed to support ongoing and future projects. Our manager must handle all the above and we have a whopping 130,000 people visit each year. While not everyone has the free time to join our volunteer force, if each of those 130,000 visitors were to donate a single dollar, the preserve would thrive.
TCNP operates fully on donations and grants. The preserve doesn’t operate on gift shops, restaurants, and food courts like other attractions. It doesn’t sell tickets for rides and shows to raise money. What it does is offer a safe and clean place for families to come and enjoy unmolested nature. It offers you hiking, biking, jogging, swimming, fishing, wading and a waterfall that is one of the country’s top 10 Natural Slides and Swimming Holes. All of this is offered free with no admission at the gates.
This request for a donation is an attempt to help you envision what we face every day to keep the gates open. We depend on our patrons to fund us and keep us going. We hope you will consider joining our family of “Friends” and help TCNP grow to her full potential.
The Friends of Turkey Creek Nature Preserve