Forest Ecology and Exploration
Is your kid or your “inner kid” in need of some fresh air?
Join our naturalists on a stimulating nature hike exploring the Turkey Creek Nature Preserve trails! They will lead an invigorating walk on beautiful single-track trails, while stopping to explore the natural wonders of Alabama forest biodiversity.
Appropriate age groups: 1st grade – High School
How do I prepare for a nature hike at Turkey Creek Preserve?
- Pack water to drink (about 1 liter).
- Wear comfortable (closed-toed) shoes for hiking.
- Apply bug spray, as well as sunscreen, prior to the beginning of the hike.
- Pack a light, comfortable hiking pack (daypack) or backpack with necessary supplies (water, snack, bug spray).
- Our Naturalist Hikes will last approximately 2.5 hours, so bring lunch or a snack as needed.
What topics will be covered on our hikes?
- Trail Safety
- Botany (plants)
- Wildlife (animals)
- Ecology (environmental interactions)
- Mycology (fungi)
- Ichthyology (insects)
If you have any specific questions regarding our naturalist hikes, please contact our Program Directors.
We are excited to explore Turkey Creek with you!