“…the most fun lies in seeing and studying the unknown.”
― Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac and Sketches Here and There, 2nd Edition
Explore. Learn. Discover.
Featuring stunning beauty and unique habitats, Turkey Creek Nature Preserve offers a wide range of educational programs that stimulate a student’s mind and invigorate their senses. For participants, the opportunity for discovery is virtually limitless within the Preserve’s 466-acres.
Every year we host thousands of students from all over the region in a wide range of studies in science, history, and social sciences that meet STEM and the Alabama State Department of Education College and Career-Ready Standards.
From unique environmental hands-on environmental programs to in-depth historical explorations, Turkey Creek Nature Preserve offers programs for every age and interest. To explore detailed information for each program, click each option below:
Life of a Creek – Aquatic Ecology
Land Stewards 101 – Forest Management and Biodiversity
Earth Cache – Geocaching, orienteering, and history
Living History – Connecting our ecological footprint to Alabama history
General Program Information
- Our programs have been developed for participants ranging in age from 3rd grade- college level. Some programs are developmentally-appropriate for specific age ranges.
- All programs take approximately 2.5 hours each. Programs can be reserved for morning or afternoon time-frames.
- Group sizes will be limited to 20 participants for the Fall 2020 season
- All programs will be a flat $400 charge due to group size maximums
- All fees are due the day of the program.
COVID-19 Programming Safety Measures:
Throughout the duration of our educational programming, we strive to promote and maintain the following protocols to provide the safest possible learning environment for participants:
- Programs are limited to a maximum of 20 participants.
- Social Distancing will be strongly encouraged for participants, visitors, and educators throughout our programming.
- Mask wearing will only be required during close contact interactions, but programming will be structured to allow plenty of safe distancing, outdoors, during which, masks will not be necessary. Participants should bring and keep a mask with them throughout the day. Keep in mind participants will be outdoors unless using the restroom, or in cases of hazardous weather.
- We will provide sanitation of communal programming equipment/materials.
- Consistent use of hand sanitizer when needed by our educators and participants.
- Temperature readings will be taken upon arrival.
- Please provide a 48-hour notice prior to cancellation
- All programs cancelled with less than 48 hour notice or without rescheduling will be charged a $200 cancellation fee
- Program coordinators will monitor the weather closely, and notify your group the day prior in the event of a necessary rescheduling due to inclement weather.
How to reserve a program:
Please send your completed Turkey Creek Program Reservation Form to email@example.com.
If you do not see a program that best fits your group, send us an email, and we will work with you to develop something that will!
If you cannot arrange for a trip to Turkey Creek, we can come to you! For information about how we can visit your classroom, please click HERE