The goal of this program is to grow interest in forestry, specifically, trees and forests, through fun and engaging activities. With COVID safe precautions, this program is available for all scouts including: Cub Scouts (youth grades K-5), Scouts BSA (youth 11-17 years old), and Venturing (Co-ed 14-20 years old). All Scouts will find out why forests are important to our economy, climate, wildlife habitats, and endangered species. Scouts BSA members will be able to meet requirements for the Forestry Merit Badge.
To accomplish these goals we are partnering with professional foresters from the Alabama Forestry Association and the Alabama Forestry Commission to provide a morning of 5 educational stations. Scouts will be split into groups of 10 to ensure safe distancing, with 30 minutes at each station activity. The station topics will include: tree identification, tree cookies, forest contributions, forest management, and tree inventory.
Date: August 28th, 2021
Schedule: Sign-in: 8:30am, Program starts at 9:00am, Ends at 12:00pm
Location: The Education Pavilion at the Turkey Creek Nature Preserve in Pinson, Alabama
Registration/Fees: All participants must register using the link below prior to August 20th. The cost will be $10 per participant. Parents/Guardians that wish to attend the program should register as a participant.
Registration Link: Click Here
Note: If the morning program is filled, an afternoon session may be offered.
COVID-19 Programming Safety Measures
Throughout the duration of our educational programming, we strive to promote and maintain the following protocols to provide the safest possible learning environment for participants:
- Programs are limited to a maximum of 50 participants and divided up into 5 groups of 10 to rotate through the education stations.
- Social Distancing will be strongly encouraged for participants, visitors, and educators throughout our programming.
- Mask wearing will only be required during close contact interactions, but programming will be structured to allow plenty of safe distancing, outdoors, during which, masks will not be necessary. Participants should bring and keep a mask with them throughout the day. Keep in mind participants will be outdoors unless using the restroom, or in cases of hazardous weather.
- We will provide sanitation of communal programming equipment/materials.
- Consistent use of hand sanitizer when needed by our educators and participants.
- Temperature readings will be taken upon arrival.
- Please provide a 48-hour notice prior to cancellation.
- No refunds will be available for cancellations with less than 48-hour notice or without notice (no shows).
- Program coordinators will monitor the weather closely, and notify your group the day prior in the event of a necessary rescheduling due to inclement weather.
- Registration minimum must be met or programming will be canceled and refunded.
This program will be conducted at our brand new education pavilion (pending construction completion)! This facility is located on the right, at the main gate to the Preserve. We ask that all participants use the large gravel parking lot that is located just past the front gate on the left. From there the pavilion is only a short walk back up to the main gate along the road.
Directions to the Preserve’s front gate can be found on this site at: https://turkeycreeknp.com/directions/
The Preserve’s address is: 3906 Turkey Creek Road Pinson, Alabama 35126