Exciting NEW programs for Fall 2020!!
(Links For Online Registration At Bottom Of Page)
Explore. Learn. Discover.
Featuring a beautiful fresh-water creek and waterfalls, single-track hiking trails, and unique flora and fauna, The Turkey Creek Nature Preserve (TCNP) offers a wide range of educational programs that stimulate a student’s mind and invigorate their senses. For participants, the opportunity for discovery is virtually limitless within the Preserve’s 466-acres. Our educational outdoor experiences guarantee the student a newfound appreciation for the natural sciences.
Every year we host thousands of students from all over the region in a wide range of studies in science, history, and social sciences that meet STEM and the Alabama State Department of Education College and Career-Ready Standards.
Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, The Turkey Creek Nature Preserve has made the necessary adjustments to our educational programming; this includes specific precautionary measures which helps ensure a low-risk setting for participants. Regardless of these modifications, The TCNP will simultaneously provide a stimulating outdoor environment, full of engaging, educational experiences. Please read over our COVID-19 Programming Precautions below for detailed information on how we are adjusting our programming due to COVID-19.
COVID-19 Programming Safety Measures:
Throughout the duration of our educational programming, we strive to promote and maintain the following protocols to provide the safest possible learning environment for participants:
- Programs are limited to a maximum of 20 participants.
- Social Distancing will be strongly encouraged for participants, visitors, and educators throughout our programming.
- Mask wearing will only be required during close contact interactions, but programming will be structured to allow plenty of safe distancing, outdoors, during which, masks will not be necessary. Participants should bring and keep a mask with them throughout the day. Keep in mind participants will be outdoors unless using the restroom, or in cases of hazardous weather.
- We will provide sanitation of communal programming equipment/materials.
- Consistent use of hand sanitizer when needed by our educators and participants.
- Temperature readings will be taken upon arrival.
General Program Information:
- Our programs have been thoughtfully developed for participants ranging in age from first grade through high school. Some programs are developmentally appropriate for specific age ranges and described as such in our program details. If you have any questions regarding the appropriateness of a specific program for your child, please contact the program coordinators.
- All programs last approximately 2.5 hours each and provide two opportunities for participation on Mondays and Tuesdays.
- Morning Programs: 9:00am- 11:30am
- Afternoon Programs: 12:30pm- 3:00pm
- Snacks and/or lunches will not be provided for participants; pack snacks and lunch if needed.
- Reservations are required for participation! (no walk-ups)
- Reservations must be made by Friday of the prior week
From unique hands-on animal lectures, to land navigation, and aquatic explorations, Turkey Creek Nature Preserve offers programming for many diverse age groups and interests.
To explore detailed information on our available programming, click each option below:
- Aquatic Ecology – Life of a Creek (3rd grade – High School)
- Geocaching and Land Navigation (3rd grade – High School)
- Herpetology – A Live Animal Experience (All Ages, 6 and under with Parent present)
- Naturalist Hikes- Forest Ecology and Exploration (1st Grade – High School)
- Half-Day program: $20 per student
- Full Day Program (2 programs): $40
- Parental/Guardian attendance: Same as student fee ($20/half day or $40/full day)*
- We offer an early drop-off time of 8:30am and late pick-up time of 4:00pm for an additional fee.
- All payments must be paid in full prior to the day of programming to attend.
*Parents/Guardians that wish to remain onsite during the program must contribute as a participant (option provided in check out). Since the Preserve is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays, parents will not be permitted to stay onsite without registering.
- Please provide a 48-hour notice prior to cancellation.
- Cancellations with less than 48-hour notice or without notice (no shows) will be charged a minimum of $20, up to a $40 cancellation fee.
- Program coordinators will monitor the weather closely, and notify your group the day prior in the event of a necessary rescheduling due to inclement weather.
- Registration minimum must be met or programming will be canceled and refunded.
How to reserve a program:
- Click the link of the date below you want to reserve.
- Choose a half-day or full day, and add to cart. If you are registering multiple students, please increase the quantity.
- If you need to add early drop-off, late pick-up, or add a parent participant links to those options can be found in the description for each date.
- When finished click on check out, complete the registration form, and payment.
- After payment is received and registration complete, we will follow up with you through email with details concerning program logistics, such as what to expect, what to wear, and where to meet.
Program Dates Below (Click to reserve)
Reservations are required to participate!
We are only currently providing registration dates for up to 2 weeks in advanced. As these programs fill, we will update this list to include more dates. We anticipate providing offerings through the month of October.